Thursday, June 13, 2013

"the church" or "a church"

Growing up, the word church only meant one thing to me, church. As in the place that we went to every Sunday morning. It was the same place, at the same time, with the same people, whether we wanted to go or not. Church was a place we went to as a family and sang songs (but not to loud), we gave money to (10% of our income),we sat, we stood, we knelt, we stood, we sat again. We greeting each other with "peace be with you," and we listened to a pastor/priest give a message that, lets face it, most of us tried to stay awake to, or we left there in that building when we walked out the door.
    Now some peoples church's had a different feel. They have upbeat, loud music. They raise their hands when they worship, they don't have communion every Sunday, and they wear their "nicer" clothes without getting to dressy (including the pastor). But no matter what church building you walk into, there is one thing the same, they are all there to worship their God.
    As I become closer to God and the meaning behind everything he has laid out for us in the bible, I am starting to realize that most of us have got this all wrong. Sitting in a staff meeting a couple weeks ago, we were talking about "the church," and to my surprise, they were talking about the church body and not the church as a building. There is "the church" and there is "a church."
    Everything I described above is "a" church. It is a gathering place where we are entertained in a sense. A place that we gather once or twice a week, strengthen our christian faith, and feel like we need to commit to every Sunday in order to be a good Christian. "A" church puts things in our heads like, "if I don't go to church every Sunday I am not a good christian," "I have to talk to a priest to confess my sins," "I have to give the church 10% of my money," "if I cant speak in tongues, I am not filled with the Holy Spirit," and "I have to give up something for lent and not eat meat on those Fridays." It is no wonder why there are so many non-Christians!! There are to many "rules" to follow, and we will always fall short anyway.
    But listening in my staff meeting and reading about the church in the bible gives me a whole new perspective, and one that is WAY easier to live up to! I am not saying that "a" church is not a good thing. I have an amazing church and it is a big part of my walk as a women of God. I am saying that I don't think this is what God intended church to be. In Matthew 16:18 Jesus says
18 “I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.
It states that He will build it His way through us. Not, we should build it our way and hope that it honors Him.
    I am so glad that my eyes have been opened up to what "the" church is, and that it IS God honoring! A little farther in the bible it states in Matthew 18:20 that
 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them." 
That means that we belong to "the" church as believers in God no matter where or when we gather. That also means that everyone who gathers in his name, whether believer or non believer. No matter how they are dressed, or how many tattoos they have. What they have done in the past, or what life they may be living currently. If they look different than us, or worship different than us, that God is with them. After all He created each and everyone of us to be individuals, and He loves us all the same! We need to come together as "the" church that God intended us to be and live our lives for Him everyday, with everyone around us. Let God be the judge of others, and let us spread His love through our kind ways, giving, and loving unconditionally!
    I am thankful for the journey, including both good times and the times filled with hurt, that God has brought me through. Each day is a lesson and a trial, but I know that God has His hands on my life. He has brought me here for a reason and it is my job to faithfully show His love to others.
    So for me, I choose to live my life through "THE church!"... what will you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment